Another Mystery Model

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Ella Emhoff

I had realized that Ella Emhoff, Kamala Harris's stepdaughter, was cute when I saw her in various news bulletins about Kamala Harris.  She's sort of a fashionista; in fact she's totally in the fashion scene, a scene to which I'm s complete outsider. 

She looked very familiar, and I had been puzzling over why.  It finally dawned on me that she resembled not one, but two different girls I knew in graduate school—not closely, but just enough to have a crush on them!  All through college, I had been watching mostly guys.  (I liked the nerdy guys, who seemed to know something, apart from being just jocks; I drifted into the company of nerds and goth chicks, who were really where it was at.  Some goth chicks were OK with me hanging out with them; others were suspicious, clearly signaling that I could either be a goth, or I could just leave them alone.  The goth community in my school were a bit peculiar.)

Well.  I keep hoping that when a girl I like is heavily into fashion, that she'd get out of it sooner or later; it has always seemed sort of a superficial thing to be into.  Ella is into knitting, which is not a trivial hobby, so it looks as though Ella is into clothes for the long haul. 

I love the way Ella supports her step-mother so enthusiastically.  Her face just glows when she's cheering her on!  So far, everything Kamala Harris has said and done are totally fine with me.  Her plans for the border: she needs to keep an eye on what the country wants.  No president ought to just follow his or her personal preferences in that area, something that Trump never understood. 

As far as taxation is concerned: it depends on what the country needs for the programs it is planning.  The Pentagon will happily accept any leftover cash in the treasury, but that's not in everybody's interest. 

Foreign policy: again, the ideas thrown out during campaigning are all well and good, but much of what is actually done depends on what is going on out there.  The US policy towards Israel and the Palestinians isn't something that can be explained in one sentence.  Kamala Harris gave the simplest, clearest description about her preferences that she could have during her acceptance speech.  I just can't paraphrase it here. 

Social Services: Harris and Elizabeth Warren both want similar things.  They want to prevent companies getting so big that they can dictate retail prices.  If all the gas companies were acquired by one owner, you can just imagine how prices would skyrocket. 

And so on.  Preventing developers from buying up all the new homes and renting them out.  (Trump would hate that.)  Passing a federal law that allows abortion.

Wow, I got sidetracked; I was talking about Ella.  She's cute; I hope she stays supportive!

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment