Another Mystery Model

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Always a Teacher

Anyone who has read Helen at Westfield will know that I was a teacher!

I wasn't one very long, but really, I don't think I could be anything but a teacher.  I try to be a writer, and a blogger, and a no-good unemployed bum, but always there's that hidden teacher inside that sneaks out, to show people how to do stuff, whether they want it or not!  All that after just a couple of years of teaching; imagine what I'd be like if I taught for, like 15 years?

But, when I take a liking to someone, I want them to do well; to make good friends, to find a satisfying occupation; to be a good role model, to be healthy.  To find a decent partner. 

You probably don't believe that someone who's barely in their forties can have ambitions like that for people they don't even know well.  But my mom was a teacher, and she'd mutter things like that about her students, long after she had stopped teaching them; and it has sort of rubbed off on me. 

And this is how I feel about Caitlin Clark.  I want her to be a good basketball player, but more than that, a good example to kids; both black kids and white kids. I don't wish a lot of money for her, though I'm sure she'll be financially successful.   I don't need to wish great beauty for her; she's gorgeous already.  They say she was an excellent student in college; well good for her. All I'm saying is that I wish for her to become an admirable human being in the ways that a celebrity isn't usually admirable.  One of Mom's students became a drummer in a band, and she was so pleased!  He'd appear on TV with the band, and she'd smile all over her face, and point at him.  "He was my student!" she'd say, and we'd tease her!

Well, of course Caitlin isn't my student.  All I can claim is that I thought she was awesome way back in 2023!

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment