Another Mystery Model

Monday, July 22, 2024

Caitlin Clark

I'm getting all sorts of Caitlin-related news in my Facebook feed, and I'm torn between trying to understand them, and trying to ignore them!

Sports News reporters are fond of jargon.   They'll rattle on about three-pointers, and assists, and various records that Caitlin has broken—and a different player has broken, until I don't know which way is up.  They were talking about some special kind of three-pointer, until it turned out that it was just a basket made from the little circle right in the center of the court, which has the emblem of the home team.  Those shots are just three points, too; I don't know what the fuss was about. 

Recently there was a red-carpet (orange-carpet, they called it) to which CC had showed up dressed nicely, but she had been trying to sneak past the pile of photographers who were trying to get shots of all the players, until some wrangler (I don't know what they're called, the guys in shades, who was sort of keeping order) stopped her, and explained that she was expected to submit to the photographication.  She was so nervous, and playing with her hair, but she looked cute.  One of the comments from a fan was:  OMG, she had a baby face when she isn't playing!  This is quite true; when she's on the court, she's all business, and she has her 'game face one, and sometimes she has her li'l tongue sticking out!  It's no wonder so many people find her cute, including me. 

And another thing: people are always chiming in to declare how much of a historic boost CC has given to TV viewership of WNBA games.   Never before, since 1946 ... OMG, what a fuss!  Who cares about TV statistics?  I don't care about any sort of sports statistics, baseball, basketball, football, hockey, lacrosse anything.  Jeeze.

Added Later  July 24:  Back to Caitlin.  (I think that, at least on one occasion I spelled her name Caitlyn!  Sorry, Caitlin!)

I'm beginning to note just how tall she is, how stylish she looks when she's dressed for photos, what an awesome smile she has, and she seems to play really hard.  She has so much energy, running all the time.  They rush from one end of the court to the other, back and forth, and whereas when she first joined the fever, she would try to get the ball in the basket every chance she got, now she passes the ball to her teammates, who do the 'sinking'.  They do a great job, and it's fun to watch them.  I'm pleased that they're gelling together as a team, and they stand up for each other when they're under attack from other teams.  I don't find myself getting interested in the game really; I don't think I ever will. 

Added Later [8-16]:  Well, these days, comments about Caitlin Clark are all in terms of how much money she's making for the league, and her team!  Oh come on!  This may be common in the world of sports, but it's yucky when viewed from outside. 

Getting back to how Caitlin is more of a team player now, I think her not relying on the outside 'three-pointers' can be explained by how much she finds that she can rely on her team-mates.  Perhaps this was immediately obvious to baseball people. 

Already there's talk of trading Caitlin.  I'm a complete outsider to the trading concept.  I would have thought that the subject of the trade (the player being traded) would find it extremely repugnant.

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment