Another Mystery Model

Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Little Facts Everyone Knows

Well, dear readers of my Blog, all 13 of you (or fewer); I think of you as my good buddies, though I have never met you, and know nothing about you (but you guys know a lot about this elusive author called Kay Hemlock Brown!)

I just realized, earlier this afternoon, that maybe not everyone knows that clean clothes dry more quickly.  One would not know this from experience unless one has tried to dry dirty clothes!  Well, sure, they dry, but not easily. 

There's a reason.  Water mixed with other materials has to overcome the surface-tension between water and that stuff, whatever it is, which could be large.  The surface tension between a molecule of water and surrounding water is usually less. 

Now, one instance where you don't want things to be too dry, is trying to prevent static cling.  So that's why you put in fabric softeners, which don't allow the fabric to get too, too dry.  Of course, the Fabric Softener people will claim some miraculous properties of the material (mostly various types of wax) to keep the fabric super soft—some of which just might be true.

I've also noticed that, after a heavy rain, the streets dry out really quickly!  When they're dirty, a little rain wets the dirty surface, and creates a slushy mess that doesn't dry quickly.  But after a good long rain that washes off the mud, the road dries in a flash!

I should give you lots of examples, but I can't think of any ...

Kay


No comments:

Post a Comment