Another Mystery Model

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Tinkering With Demand

Ha.

For all my life, I hated Economics with a passion!  The economists had rules of thumb, like "If you raise interest rates, people will not be buying much, so ... (prices will go down?)"

It seemed to me that this was meddling with what the people wanted, so it was sort of sneaky. 

But yesterday, I noticed that Helen and the Flowershop Girl was selling too fast, so I charged $2 for it.  It used to be free.  This morning, it had only sold one copy!

OK, listen.  I apologize for interfering with the sales of the book that was being most heavily downloaded (Flowershop Girl), but I was afraid that that book would become the poster- girl for my writing as a whole.  I saw myself as a writer of medium-length stories about decent people; but Flowershop was a very short story; in fact, it was a tiny bleeding chunk from the Helen saga, and really was intended to describe the sexual and romantic problems that Helen had to face--- even in the summer, when college was on hiatus (remember, Helen is a professor) being in love with two women at once, and living with them. 

I had written an even better episode about this situation (Helen Teaches Calculus) where Rain and Lorna, Helen's two sex partners, struggle with their three- way emotional balance.

Maybe I'll upload that; I haven't yet. 

Kay Ashley Hemlock Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment