Another Mystery Model

Saturday, June 10, 2023

Avatar: The Way of etc.

Some friends and I watched the new Avatar sequel last weekend.  I realized how confusing it would be for someone faced with a large crowd of protagonists all at once (which I inflict on my readers sometimes); most of Jake's offspring-- Jake is the main male character, an earthman-- look like him, which means they're hard to tell from each other, except for the girls, and the youngest one (who is cute).  I just decided to stop worrying about the identity problem, and to go with the flow.  That simplified things for me a lot, except that one of the sons tended to need to be rescued pretty frequently. 

Of course, in the post- Star-Wars world we live in, movies need to have visuals that are suitably mechanically fancy, and when the Earthmen come barreling in, they come in vehicles that are big and frightening.  Meanwhile, the landscape has to be depicted as suitably alien, which results in occasionally crowded visuals.  The overall impression I got was of a movie that was both threatening (which the designers will be happy about), and cluttered.

I'm still battling my confusion about the characters, but I've become quite fond of the littlest Sully (Jake's little half-Navi girl), so I'm committed to watching the whole thing.  By the way, we decided to watch the movie over four days, not successive days either.

The native fauna--including whale-like creatures, who're very endearing--are just delightful, though they do contribute a lot to the clutter factor.  And of course, there are the dragons!  So much potential!  I hope some of it is realized!

More as we watch the rest. 

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment