Another Mystery Model

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Reading Lesfic / Dating Sarah Cooper

     You won't believe the trouble I had, typing in that title; each time I tried to type in 'Dating Sarah Cooper,' I ended up typing Dating Siera Maley instead! Simple mistake?  I think not! 
     Too often, when I read a story with really 3-dimensional characters that jump out of the page, I gradually imagine myself in a relationship with the author!  I have to believe this is not necessarily a welcome state of affairs from the pint of view of these authors, who are presumably happily settled in stable relationships.  I, on the other hand, am blissfully unattached--mostly-- which explains what is happening here.
     In related news, the basic story of this book I'm about to describe is closely related to an MTV TV series called Faking It, and if you watch that show, you will know most of what happens in Dating Sarah Cooper, author: Siera Maley, available on Amazon Kindle.
     I have not watched Faking It--I don't watch a lot of TV; any TV, really--but I doubt whether it is as imaginatively written as Dating.  The book is about a pair of BFFs, Katie and Sarah.  It is a first person narration in the voice of Katie, who describes crazy Sarah so perfectly that it gives the reader great insight into the character of Sarah, and also of Katie herself.  This is the second time-- maybe even the third-- of my reading this story, and it seems to me that Katie is as cautious as Sarah is impetuous.
     The story opens on Katie helping a gay classmate who has just been knocked down by a homophobic jock after school.  Katie texts Sarah, who is a nurse wannabe, for help with first aid, saying Got you a patient.  Sarah replies with: Omg who??  That, right there, deliniates the girls perfectly!
     I strongly recommend this book, though in some parts of the country the mores of both the adults and the kids might well be too different (from the mainstream) for the story to make sense.
     Kay 

No comments:

Post a Comment