Another Mystery Model

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Barbie

OK.

I thought Margot R. was excellent for the Barbie role.

I thought all the Barbies were cast beautifully, acted brilliantly, and were an awesome ensemble team. 

I think Ken did really well, but I couldn't comment on the role, because, honestly I couldn't really get my head around the plot.  This gender-roles thing makes sense to me, but at the upper echelons of the "Patriarchy" psycho-babble, I tend to lose my grasp of what they're saying. 

I thought America Ferreira was just perfect, and the girl who played her daughter was brilliant, but that could just be me thinking they were really cute. 

I really love Greta Gerwig, but I did not like her Little Women as much as I liked the Winona Rider film; maybe I haven't figured out the Calculus of the gender war really well.  To get into the advanced levels of the gender dialectic, you have to be able to understand certain arguments really fast, but I couldn't.  They were going by too fast for me to grab. 

That Kate McKinnon is beyond brilliant!  She could persuade me about anything!  Will Ferrell was excellent too, but he wasn't involved in advancing the argument at all; he was just a placeholder.

In the end, Greta G's plot was a little too complex for a movie audience to pick up on the fly, though it probably made sense for those who have been involved long term in the gender wars (which I haven't).  Even while I was dismayed by the failure of the plot of the movie, I was giggling at the comedy of the screen action!  It really is funny. 

I shudder to think that about fifty guys will want to pressure GG for the rights to the story with a view to doing a better job of it, and only succeed in screwing it into the ground.

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment