Another Mystery Model

Friday, December 29, 2023

Year-End Summaries

This is the time of year when the news sources—TV, radio—do their Best of the Year lists.  I used to pay more attention to these in my younger days, mainly because I listened to the radio a lot more.   Recently I've begun to think that these comparisons (you have to compare, just to sort the items in order, from best to worst) are all so subjective!

My favorite movies are not anyone else's favorites, just to give an example.  But there's one sense in which comparisons and lists make sense: popular votes.  By having the public send in their yeas and nays, the newspaper can tally up which item gets the most positive votes, and so on.  It's amazing how many people wait until these media gurus make their choices for them!  For books, though, I guess some people figure that it makes more sense to wait until the New York Times publishes a best seller list than to go out and buy a ton of books, read them all, and then make up their own minds.  I hardly watch TV at all, so I don't know what's on there.  There, too, I tend to watch a show only when I've been invited over to visit someone, occasionally because one of my friends wants to make me watch something. 

I was really taken off guard when there was a huge roar of approval for the Barbie movie.  I never cared for the Barbie products; I was much more into international dolls (they're described in detail in Christine's Miraculous Christmas but I only had a very few, because of the expense, and how picky I was).  Still, it must have been good; I shall wait until it gains universal approval at the end of the year, and then watch it.  I'm not going to watch the Oppenheimer movie; it sounds way too harrowing.  I watched Maestro, and sort of hated it.  It was, like, everybody was gay in that movie.  And where were the lesbians?  And this was in the fifties!  But I digress.

If they come up with a top 10 list for blogs, I'm not going to read it.  Not that I'm sensitive about my place in the constellation of fantastic blogs, but that this is not a general-interest blog in the first place; it was about my stories, so it should be impossible to compare it to a blog about, say, zoos, or something. 

Well, happy weekend!

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment