Another Mystery Model

Monday, September 13, 2021

A Great Epiphany

Hello, dear readers of this Blog!

As you know, I have two blogs; this one, and one focused on the Helen story.  I don't really need to maintain them separately now; that's just a relic of the times when the "Fiction from Kay Hemlock Brown" blog was more about my writing, and the "Helen" blog was more about slightly more R-rated stuff.  If you're using the standard interface, there are links to the other blog on each of them.  If you're using the mobile interface, you have to cross over using some other method.  (My own method is too lengthy to have to describe to you ...)

Well, as I wrote a few days ago, the book I last read, at that writing, was "The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics", a wonderful book.  I was disturbed by the little explicit sex there was in that---very little, really, compared to some other stories---but there was another notable aspect.  One of the women involved was a powerful and rich member of the nobility.  The book I have just finished reading is a simple story set in modern times, but one of the women is a super-rich divorcee.

This seems to be almost an inevitable feature in many stories, and perhaps more in lesbian fiction.  As I wote in the last post, even in my own writing, one of the characters was invariably someone powerful for some reason, and more often than not, someone who was wealthy.  Now, I have a reputation, at least among my friends on DeviantArt, that my politics lean a little to the left.  (Or a whole lot to the left, which is somewhat alarming.)  Should I feel obliged to write stories about rich, and/or powerful people?

Thinking about this a little more deeply, the essential ingredient in these sorts of stories is more subtle than wealth or power: it is glamour.  People do not read stories unless there is glamour involved.  One of these days I'm going to write a story about two women lovers, neither of whom is glamorous at all.  And we can watch its popularity plummet.

It's probably too late to de-glamorize my Elf story; having an elf in it already means magic, and magic means glamour.

If any of you readers find a story that is worth reading, but does not have any glamour in it, just let me know!

Kay 

No comments:

Post a Comment