Another Mystery Model

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

My Sales Over the Last Few Weeks

I think that I have cracked the code.

I used to puzzle over the seemingly random distribution of book sales reported by Smashwords.  Now, I believe that I have figured out an explanation, and it is something that makes me thoughtful.  I believe there is just a small number of readers who are interested in these books, really.  I think they wait until the books are offered for free, and snap them up.  The total number of copies of each book sold is more or less the same.  I suspect that some readers download multiplie copies of some of the books, perhaps to read them on the various devices that they own.  (I do the same, but once you buy one, you're usually allowed to load them on each of your mobile devices at no extra charge!  But downloading fresh copies gives the illusion that I'm attracting new readers.  I don't mind; I don't do it for the money; I do it for the FAME!  Just kidding!

I have said before that I wanted to base a book that was intended to follow Concerto on our present day existence, but because the political news so dominates the attention, there seems nothing interesting going on except political activity.  That would kill interest in any book, so I'll wait on things to settle down, or I'll just give up the whole thing.

Things are sure to turn out all right.  Some people are terribly worried that the ultra-left people will take over, and change the US beyond recognition.  That will probably not happen.  There are urget needs that have to be taken care of: support for those who have been reduced to abject poverty by the Virus (some of the relief money has been soaked up by employers to benefit themselves, and not shared with their employees); schools must be gradually made effective again; some investment must be made in preparedness for epidemics; and we must seriously put the brakes on fossil fuels, which make life easy and fun for those whose lives depend on big gas-guzzling vehicles, or whose lives are made much more fun  by them.  Well, we have to move over to other ways of having fun.

Commuting to work is not fun for those who work in large cities, like New York and Los Angeles.  I have spent time in those places, and getting to work is miserable.  It can be changed so that commuting is a lot less miserable, and the pollution is highly reduced.

Finally, it is time to urge those heads of businesses who have been accustomed to enormous profits towards helping to pay for government services; in other words, we have to raise their taxes.  (Some quite middle-class people have gotten alarmed, thinking that their incomes are going to disappear into government coffers.  I don't know for certain, but I do not think this is going to happen.  But it is nice to imagine that you are a lot richer than you are; you know who you are.)

So, happy reading, all of you!

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment