Another Mystery Model

Monday, April 27, 2020

Sales on Smashwords

The title of this post is very misleading, I realize!  Nobody is more concerned about how many books written by me are flying off the Smashwords shelves than I am, myself.  I did a quick estimate of how many books total I have managed to persuade readers to download, and I arrived at 8,500.  That's not a whole lot, I know.

I really should try a lot harder to publicize the books, but I just sit here, tragically unconcerned about who or how many buy those books!  And I have another one in the works, but I'm finding it difficult to complete.  It was intended to be about the virus and the pandemic, but in a sense I don't know how to get it written while we're all still under lockdown, and we don't know how it all turns out.  One thing I know is that I want to convey the frustration of the kids who are forced to stay at home, but I live in Rural Pennsylvania, and the lock-down is not enforced as strictly as it probably is in large metropolitan areas; we're allowed to walk around to neighborhood parks, and so on, which makes all the difference in the world.  What we have been asked not to do, is visit anybody.  But I see people walking up to various houses, calling them to come out, and carrying on a conversation yelling back and forth, but staying at a distance of around ten feet.  This is fine.  Everybody must wash their hands, and toss their masks in the laundry as soon as they get home from the grocery store.

Bear in mind, though, that people who work on the clock, and were terminated, are now without an income, and without any prospect of employment.  Their bosses want them back at work, but their supplies--the raw materials for what they did--are no longer coming in, or customers are no longer coming in, or customers are out of work, so cannot buy anything.  This is a crazy situation which Trump and our government has never faced before, at least not to this degree, and so they don't know how to handle it.  Nobody knows.

I believe, though, that the Democrats are more likely to know some approaches that will work, but the Republicans will probably flail about, unwilling to make moves that they feel are too risky for the health of the Stock Market.  Let's see whether this Stock Market can make things better for us!  I don't think so.

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment