Another Mystery Model

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Misspelled Words

Today I saw--after a long time--a word that is often misspelled, and by implication, mispronounced.  Why?  Because people (or is it mainly women?  Haha; don't hate me unless you must!) often spell their words somewhat influenced by their pronunciation.

The word of the moment is arctic.  In other words, things and happenings described as in The Arctic.  The Arctic is a sea surrounding the North Pole.  But there is (or used to be, anyway; who knows what's going on now?) a thick layer of snow and ice over the water, which meant that many folk thought it was a continent.

The (wrong) spelling I saw, and which has kicked off this tirade (or Rant, if you prefer,) was artic, which is one letter short.  The missing letter is 'c', which is often not pronounced by our (American) fellow-countrymen--and -women--and so the word is frequently misspelled.

I wish I knew the etymology (the derivation and origins) of the word, because knowing that usually makes it easier to remember the correct spelling.

There was another instance of a horrible substitution, a wrong word that sounded vaguely like the right one.  But I can't remember what it was, so I have to reluctantly let it go.

Also, added to the end of 'Homonyms' : glimpsed vs. glanced.  I forgot to say, though, that glanced needs an extra preposition, like glanced at, or glanced throughGlimpsed doesn't need an extra word, but you might want to use one for some extra purpose.  (I need to add some italics to this post; hope I remember!)

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment