Another Mystery Model

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Doing Something About My Pet Peeve

Hey, I'm back, to continue with one of my rants that leads nowhere.  Well, usually nowhere, but hopefully somewhere, this time.

Have you heard me carrying on about how, in most lesfic (OMG, I'm beginning to adopt Millennial Lesbian terminology.  Kids, man) stories---I don't want to call it literature---it is always a butch (or a top) with a femme (or a bottom).  Always.  Why?  Why can't lesfic be more satisfyingly symmetric, and equal?  I am convinced that this Butch/Femme dichotomy was created by and for men.  I have little against men, as such (though I hate testosterone-infused guys, who further the stereotype that the inarticulate guys who communicate mostly with grunts and loud pickup trucks are attractive to women).  So I have always dreamed of writing a story of a romance between two femmes.  But a lot of my stories are, in fact, stories between femmes.

Guess what!  I decided to write a story of a romance between two Butches!  But not the stereotypical butches riding motobikes or driving pickups, but sweet, sensitive girls, who nevertheless give off femme vibes (there I go, adopting Millennial lingo!  Kids, man), but stop short of being actually girly.

I recently read a lovely story by, er, Kallie Mont (not her real name), about a woman who---having broken up with her career-obsessed girlfriend---moves to a somewhat rural New England seaside location, and meets a lovely local.  The somewhat Butch newcomer to the village is a lovely, protective person, and it made me realize that I have written about Butch characters often; it's only that I have rarely been conscious of it.

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment