Another Mystery Model

Friday, October 27, 2017

It’s Impossible to Edit My Own Writing!

I’m in the process of editing one of the three most complete books I’ve published: The Music of the Stars, and I’m seeing terrible, embarrassing mistakes of all sorts!

I have read this book at least five times, since it was published in August 2015; I love the story, despite its flaws (about which you can read elsewhere), but in spite of intermittent corrections and repairs, there are still errors; sometimes entire words missing.  I read a paragraph, and I’m at the next paragraph before I feel an odd sense that something is wrong, and backtrack.  Evidently my mind puts in the missing words, and I ‘see’ what I want to see, rather than what’s actually on the page.

A few weeks ago, I had a sudden recurrence of a craving to have one of these stories actually printed out, on paper, and in my hands.  I contacted a friend who works at a printing company, and she said, sure, send it over; she would print it in paperback form, or at least send me a cost estimate.  It’s going to be some 600 pages (mostly because I have not had it professionally edited; most editors would slice out massive chunks of it), and I would have to think long and hard whether I could afford to print out a single copy.  It’s expensive to print out a single proof copy; only the fact that a few hundred are printed out makes them affordable at paperback prices.  Also, my friend is very likely to print the book out on fairly good paper, rather than the typical crap on which mass-market paperbacks are printed.  Also, I have to get ready a nice cover image at high resolution, because this girl is a perfectionist, and she will pester me until she gets a cover image up to her standards!

Oh well.  Stars is full of impossibly nice people; one reason that I love to read and re-read it.  Interestingly, it seems very much as though the typical reader is not happy reading books full of nice characters!

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment